"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Monday, March 26, 2007

Building the Stack

It has been a while since my last entry. I apologize for my absence. In my previous blog I talked about the importance of recognizing tournament blind structure and changing your game to fit the game structure you are about to play. For example, you have the freedom to play more conservatively during a game with long/slow blind levels then you do in a game where the blinds move up quickly compared to your starting chips. Most poker players who are serious about making money have took the time to read a few poker books. This is definitely a great guideline to get you started, but what you really need to understand is you need to apply what you learned in those books and adapt them to your current tournament. This sometimes means that you need to adjust your starting requirements slightly to take advantage of your situation.

In the coming posts I will talk about what I have found to be +EV hands to play when compared to your position and stack size. The information revealed is a meer guideline; your current situation always dictates whether a move is correct or not. I believe that not only will the amateurs of the game find the following information helpful, but it will raise questions for some of the better players. I am not claiming the information to be 100% accurate, and the information is catered to fast tournaments. Tournaments that will blind you out in an hour (hour & half) or less if you do not play a hand. Feedback is always welcomed and I hope you enjoy reading my findings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Schaubs said...

Breaks are often a great time to reflect.

I look forward to the next set of posts as I am often in these situations where I need to make moves quickly. I play in a weekly game where the following takes place:
40 Chips
6 players
blinds start at 1-2, and raise EVERY time a player is eliminated...
These live "sng" type mini tourney's can last anywhere from 20 minutes to 1hr 20m. I find myself pushing on the bubble with borderline ATC...

11:36 PM

 
Blogger Schaubs said...

The blinds also raise every 10 minutes when we get down to 3 players.

11:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home