"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Monday, July 16, 2007

Kings of Donkey's... Again!



After 220 hands I placed first again in the weekly SJPC Donkey Time! Tournament. The fields in this tournament may be small, but there are some really good players. A lot of thought goes into almost every hand especially at the end. Heads up lasted 45 hands and it was a roller coaster on who was the chip leader. It seemed like every 5 hands someone would win a large enough pot to take the lead.

I won because of my selective aggression. Almost every player on the table got tired of me at one point for constantly putting them to the test; but when you have a big stack and have decent hands you don't want to give short stacks a chance to catch a monster. I constantly applied pressure and pulled back when faced with resistance - as long as their story added up. It also was a bonus that in the very first hand I doubled up. My opponent chased a straight and made it on the river but got greeted by a King-high flush. This is a hand that I will revisit in the near future; I think it's an interesting lesson why you shouldn't play medium strength cards out of position, and why chasing can be disastrous, even if you hit your hand.

For now I would like to thank everyone who has been showing up regularly to play in the SJPC. We even been having some regular spectators which is always nice. I send out a warm welcome to all fellow bloggers to join the SJPC Monday night game on FTP. You can find out more information by visiting this link.

Until next time, good luck everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home