"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Procrastination, Broken Keyboards, and the Mookie



First, any blog that starts with a picture of a donkey is never good. Last night was the most horrible night of poker I think I've ever played. I wasn't focused at all, totally lost in my surroundings. It was like I was at Burger King asking for a Big Mac... just wasn't happening!

Let me explain, so I can attempt to save face - ah what the hell... so I can come up with excuses! The last few days I've been playing like I just picked up a deck of cards and learned how to deal Hold'em correctly. I've made tons of amature mistakes and have been playing like a complete fish. Bankroll wise, I haven't moved much in either direction - positive or negative... but I know I missed tons of opportunities to be way in the positive. My problem? It's my own fault. No bad beats, no bad players calling and catching, just me... I'm my problem, and let me explain why.

Ever since I won the last WPEX Guarantee Tournament I promised myself I would catch up on some needed things. I have a lot of work to do at work, and I have been putting in some longer hours to keep caught up. With that, things at home have been put on hold. I have some side work I just been procrastinating on, my house is looking worse and worse, and I got other little personal things I need to take care of. But instead of taking care of things at home, I been sitting at poker tables and playing Hold'em.

How does all that translate to my donkey style play? I am just not focus. When I am playing, I am thinking of all the stuff I need to do at home and not thinking about the action in front of me. When a guy check raises me, or bets a large amount on the Flop, I have no idea what he is doing. Not because he's a crafty player, but because I can't remember what he showed down the last time he did that. I can't remember who's on tilt, who's been getting cards lately... hell man, I can't remember a damn thing. I'm better off playing in the dark! To top it all off, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse I bought at CompUSA that's absolutely terrible. Half the time it's completely non-responsive and I miss a lot of opportunities to raise when I want to, or call bets when I want to. Hell, I timed out trying to raise K-K pre-flop in position with 5 limper's. Right then I should have replaced my wireless set up, but I didn't... it's on my "list of things to do" lol.

So how do I know I am officially insane? How about last night in the Mookie I folded Q-Q when the flop came down A-small-small. Player first to act bets, I call. A on the turn, and he fires again and hard. I call. K on the river, he fires and I fold. What I really wanted to do was raise on the Turn, but I didn't... because I suck.

Then I did the play that I hate the most. I actually was up til about 1AM pissed at myself for doing this. It's the move I'd disown a friend for, and I did it. I went all in UTG with A-J suited. WHAT THE HELL was I thinking? Gee.... Ride my donkey baby! Of course Big Slick calls me, what was he thinking? I Flopped an inside straight draw and missed the Turn and the River... bye bye me.

Well, I am gonna stop playing poker and get things DONE here. As far as the next Mookie is concerned, I'll make my $10 contribution!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing in The Mookie last night.

5:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home