"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Suckouts

Anyone who has played more than one game of poker learns to hate suckouts. We hate it when we have the best hand, get all our chips are in the pot, and get sucked out on the Turn or the River. It's enough to put even the best players on tilt.

One method to counteract going on tilt when you loose a ton of chips on a suckout is to remember the times when you were the one raking in the pot as an underdog. Poker Pros say you can hardly remember all your great wins but you can remember in detail all your losses. To help me remember the times I got lucky and suckedout, I started saving screenshots of them when I played online. I review them frequently enough to present a constant reminder that I too was an underdog at one point and won a pot when I shouldn't have. It's self discipline for keeping off tilt when I get sucked out on. Here are some screenshots that I saved.


Suckout 1, KK vs. Trips



Dealt Cowboys and raised pre-flop. The BB call and the flop is T-8-6 rainbow. The BB goes all in and I call with my KK vs his Trip T's. The Turn was a 6 giving him a full house and leaving me with two outs. The K on the river sent the BB to his 'reload' screen.
=====================


Suckout 2, 7-2 vs. A-T



Even the worse hand in poker pays off sometimes. In this hand a super-aggressive player raises on the button and I call with the intention of standing up for my blind and stealing this pot away from him (I have a super-tight image at this point). The flop comes down 4-7-A and he over bets the pot. My read was that he was afraid of the flush draw, so I shoved all-in. He calls and my dead chips get returned. He flips over top pair and the Turn makes my day.
=====================


Suckout 3, K7 vs. K9



Sometimes a suckout doesn't have to be a time where you take all your opponents chips, but also a split pot when your dominated. This play occurred in the heads up stage of a SNG. I was SB and low stacked. Pushed with K-7 and my opponent called with K-9. The Queen on the River saved me giving us both two pair; Queens and Tens, King-kicker.
=====================


The above screens are a few that I have saved. I can't show you all my suckouts because then I might look like a fish =). The point of this blog is, don't let a suckout ruin your game and put you on tilt. Remember, at one time you were on the receiving end of a suckout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home