"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bad Beats

I find this ironic this blog entitled "Bad Beats" is directly after my previous blog entitled "Suckouts". The last few days have been incredible. My RIO for my regular SNG is +80% for the last two months, and I have even attempted to move up a level and took down my first game there. But today, which started out as a decent day, has turned into a nightmare. Let's recap the day:

Bad Beat 1

Started my day out at a 45 player SNG. A few hands in and I am up to 1740 chips. Nothing to brag about but it's a good start. Then this terrible hand happens and ends my tournament:

Blinds 20 / 40
Starting pot is 60

Seat 1: 1425
Seat 2: 1140
Seat 3: 1700 (Hero)
Seat 5: 1155
Seat 6: 1275 (Button)
Seat 7: 1900 (SB)
Seat 8: 3000 (BB)
Seat 9: 1845 (Villain)

Dealt 9d 8d

UTG (Villain) calls, Seat 1-2 fold, Hero limps, Cutoff & Dealer limp, SB folds, BB Checks
Pot is now 220

Flop: 9s Ac 8h
BB checks, Villain bets 240, Hero calls, remaining players fold.

Heads up action, Hero vs Villain
Pot is now 700

Turn: 3d [9s Ac 8h]
Villain bets 360, Hero raises to 720, Villain calls
Pot is now 2140

River: Jh [3d 9s Ac 8h]
Villain bets 845 and is all in, Hero calls

Hero shows two pair; Nines and Eights, Ace-Kicker
Villain shows two pair; Aces and Jacks, Nine-Kicker

Comments: I knew I had the best hand up until the River card but he wouldn't get off his pair of Aces. When the Jack came down I said out loud he had Aces and Jacks but the pot was too good to fold. 740 to win 2880 was almost 4:1 on my money with two pair. I lost the hand, but really didn't feel bad about it since "that's poker".



====================

Bad Beat 2

I placed second in this SNG, so it was a money finish. The final hand was another suckout.

Blinds 50 / 100

Villain: 7140 (Button)
Hero: 1710

Villain calls 50, Hero raised to 300, Villain calls
Pot is now 600

Flop: Jd 3h Tc
Hero bets 400, Villain calls
Pot is now 1400

Turn: Ah [
Jd 3h Tc]
Hero bets 500, Villain calls
Pot is now 2400

River Qh [
Ah Jd 3h Tc]
Hero checks, Villain bets 610, Hero calls 610 and is all in

Hero shows two pair; Aces and Threes, Queen kicker
Villain shows Broadway Straight, Then through Ace

Comments: I should have shoved on the Turn and I paid for my mistake. Nothing I could do about the outcome. If I folded the hand on the River I was all in the next couple hands regardless. Ah well...



====================

Bad Beat 3

I've been hearing so much about Satalites from so many magazines and professional players I decided to give one a try. I was doing good until my two pair ran into Quads and I lost a good portion of my stack. Then I jammed K-6 OS with first in and was called by 6-3 OS. The board sent 6-3 OS the chips.



====================

Bad Beat 4

Nothing much here, pushed with T-T Pre-Flop and A-J OS called me. Ace on the Turn sealed my fate. Amazes me that people would call such a large push with A-J OS at the $30 level.



====================

Bad Beat 5

Blinds 50 / 100
Down to bubble position

Hero on the Button: 1275
SB: 3745
BB: 3980

Dealt Ks Jd

Hero opens for 300, SB calls, BB Calls
Pot is now 900

Flop: Jh 7h Ac
SB: Checks, BB Checks, Hero moves all-in for 975, SB calls, BB folds

Hero reveals K-J OS
Villain reveals K-T OS

The Showdown: 9c Qs [Jh 7h Ac]

Villain makes a Broadway to win the pot.



Comments: I am speechless. How can he call that with an inside straight draw? If he flipped over an Ace then it would simply be GG me... but a draw? Come on!

====================

Bad Beat 6

This beat occurred when the blinds were 40 / 80 and I was low stack after loosing more than half my stack to a River beat. I get dealt A-J suited on the SB and had 740 chips after posting. Figured this would be a good time to push since someone might think I am on tilt and call with a lesser hand.

I shove and A-T suited calls. Great! He's an underdog to my Ace, I just need to dodge a straight and a T and I should double up...



====================

I did have some wins today, it wasn't all bad. Overall I am down but it happens. I just can't believe some of these calls from underdogs and hitting their cards hard. I pulled my games and I seem to have a tougher time beating SNGs on the weekends than I do any other day of the week. Early on the weekends is not bad. So I am coming to a conclusion that there are too many "gamblers" on the weekend who just don't care about what your trying to represent. As long as they have an Ace, they will call you down.

Well, I just hope my next session brings this back into the positive. If I get up early tomorrow I will play a few rounds, otherwise I will spend the day reviewing hand histories.

Good luck to everyone else out there, may your good starting hands hold up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home