"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Sunday, January 21, 2007

SJPC, AC, & WPEX $500 Guarantee

It's been a busy weekend, with some roller coaster results. First, I headed down to South Jersey for a SJPC game. We had some old school players in the game, some guys I haven't seen in a long time. I ended up playing only a few hands but got maximum results each time, which placed me as the chip leader. Then I made two key decisions which really helped me; I called a guy's bluff with pocket 7's and they held up, and I folded pocket pair against two small stack all-ins when I guess correctly what type of cards they had - I would have been ahead but the one small stack spiked an Ace and took it down. I ended up going heads up as a massive chip leader and it was over in 4 hands. GG me.

The next day I headed to AC and sat down at the Showboat. Now before people think I am a complete donk, let me just well inform you that I am not a ring game player - I am a tournament player. I ended up dropping $120 in a 1/2 NL table. These guys were crazy, average preflop raises were around $30, and people were calling with hands like 5-3 OS. I lost most of my roll when I had top two pair, Aces and Kings and lost to trips. From then on in I really played bad and made a lot of horrible decisions. Now I look back on it, the $120 I wasted in a type of game I have no real skill in, I should have played the 100+20 Freezeout. Ah well, it was fun time with some of the SJPC guys... so the way I look at it, $200 night out with the guys (food and stuff included).

So feeling sort of upset with; A) Playing a ring game when my strength is ten-fold in tournament play, and B) loosing that money to complete crazy people - I decided to do a little online action. I jumped in WPX and finished in a couple SNGs, then took down a SNG on FTP (which I've been on a down slope recently at that site). I traveled back up to my place and played in the WPEX $500 Guarantee. I finished 3rd there which was completely my fault. I was low stack and in the BB. SB calls and the flop comes down. He checks and I make a move... he had a hand. So dumb play by me, but I needed that pot to stay alive. It was a situation play more then anything (odds of him hitting the flop is rare). The "damn-it" play of the game which could have made all the difference is if I would have called the two small stack all-ins with my pair of sevens. Small stack with about 3,000 moves all in, stack of 9,000 moves all in, and I am sitting with 15k and fold. The flop would have gave me quads and I would have been extremely healthy, eliminating two players in the mean time. Ah well, I just didn't want to bust out and be in the "all in" mode myself. Any way, played another SNG on WPX and got second. Kat moved all in every hand during heads up. I think we seen two flops out of 20 hands. I picked a spot and called. Flopped top pair and he got river-river diamonds to flush up and win. I'm not mad I lost this way either, I know I will take his money another time. To me, people who go all in all the time read Kill Phil and take it way too seriously. I just think he was scared to play me after the cards came down. Every hand I was in with him before the heads up I won... so what you think?

In the end, I made some good money this weekend and I am happy with my results. I hope everyone else had a good weekend. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home