"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lunch Break

Today I attempted my first game during my lunch break. Being that this was my first game during lunch I played a $6 +.50 Turbo SNG. I didn't want to risk much incase I had to leave mid-way during the tournament. Throughout the game I was the chip leader, lost my lead half way through the tournament but got it back shortly after. After about 30 minutes of play I was finally heads up and had my opponent on the short stack. The following play changed things a bit and I doubled him up.

=======================================
Seat 3: opponent (2,575)
Seat 7: sjpc yabi (10,925)
sjpc yabi posts the small blind of 150
opponent posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #7

HOLE CARDS

Dealt to sjpc yabi [Kc Jc]
sjpc yabi raises to 800
opponent raises to 2,575, and is all in
sjpc yabi calls 1,775

I put my player on suited connectors, small pair, or an attempt to steal my raise. With KJ suited in heads up I have to take my chances to knock him out.

opponent shows [Tc Ac]
sjpc yabi shows [Kc Jc]

Horrible situation for me, I am less then 40% to win the hand.

FLOP [9h 5h 9s]

Not a good flop for me, I am less then 24% to win the hand, the only cards that can save me is a King or a Jack without an Ace coming out.

TURN [9h 5h 9s] [9d]

The river got harsh and lowered my chances of winning to less than 15% but now giving me a little higher percentage of a tie. A 9 comes on the River, or a 5 it's a split pot. A King or a Jack on the River and I take it down.

RIVER [9h 5h 9s 9d] [4s]

We pay off the opponent and he's happy. Nothing to get upset about, I was at a draw since pre-flop.
=======================================

A couple hands later I reach well over 11k in chips then go down to about 10k. Pressure is on not only to knock my opponent out of the tournament but I also have only a few minutes left on my break. Just as I hit my 2 minute warning 'the' hand happen. Let's take a look at what happen.

=======================================
Seat 3: opponent (3,350)
Seat 7: sjpc yabi (10,150)
sjpc yabi posts the small blind of 300
opponent posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #7

HOLE CARDS

Dealt to sjpc yabi [3c Qc]
sjpc yabi raises to 1,200
opponent raises to 3,350, and is all in
sjpc yabi calls 2,150

Part of the reason of this call was mainly due to my time restraints, and again I wanted to take him out of the tournament and just had a 'feeling' that this was 'the' hand. The second reason is the amount of money in the pot; it cost me 2,150 to call win 5,450 (900 from the blinds, my 1,200 raise, and his all-in). I have 2:1 on my money with enough chips to still be in a dominating position against my opponent if I loose. This was not a quick call, my time almost ran out before I clicked call.

opponent shows [4s As]
sjpc yabi shows [3c Qc]

Once again I don't look good. I am in almost the same situation as before with less than 40% to win this hand. I need a lot of help to take this down.

FLOP [Kh 2c 2s]

Not a good flop for me. I did hit one of my clubs but I need two running clubs for it to mean anything. A Queen, Trey, or two running Clubs has to come out for me to have a chance at this. I am less than 25% to win.

TURN [Kh 2c 2s] [Ac]

The Ace is not good. Bad card for me even though it's a Club, I am now about 20% to win this hand, only a Club can save me.

RIVER [Kh 2c 2s Ac] [Jc]

My miracle card, my Flush on the river beats his two pair, Aces-and-deuces.
=======================================

I take down the tournament and hurry back to work. In the end the experience was different; not only did I have the pressure of winning the tournament but I also had time restraints on how long I could take to do it. Will I attempt this again? Maybe not a 9 player Turbo but possibly a 6 player Turbo. I did have fun and it paid off, which is an obvious bonus. A good start from yesterday's trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home