"Hold em is to stud what chess is to checkers.", Johnny Moss

Monday, November 06, 2006

Trying for a Grand Finish

For a long time my online poker home was Paradise Poker and unfortunately for me they are leaving the U.S. starting November 13th of this year, thanks to the famous Port Authority Bill that was recently passed. Since the annoucement I have transfered my funds to Full Tilt and currently trying to get myself situated in what may be my new home. However, in light of this matter, I still have Players Club points and I am attempting to get one final cash out from Paradise before it's officially over next week.

My most recent attempt happen in late October when I pushed all my chips in the center and was busted out by a call from a lesser hand. It was late in the tournament and being that we were only a few away from the money people started to play tight. The last 6 times when I was small blind and the board folded to me, the big blind would raise enough chips to put me all in, regardless if I raised it to him or not. After the 6th time I confronted the player about his aggressive play. The following is the transcript with my chat in green and his in red.

"I'll catch you"
"What do you mean"
"That's the sixth time you came on top of me in the BB, you keep it up and I will catch you"
"Then call"
"Gonna do it again I take it?"
"We'll see"

This is the first time I spoke besides the occasional "nh" or "gg". Soon after our conversation it was folded to me in the SB. I am looking at JJ and raise 4x the blind. Our villian raises just shy of 1,000 chips of putting me all in and types "call". I of course feel this is my time to finally nail this guy and push my remaining chips in the pot. Now before you say I shouldn't have risked all my chips with just JJ let's take a look at my current situation:

I am on the small stack side at my table with 80,000. There is less then 25 people left in this tournament and people are currently scared of the bubble position. The guy re-raised me 6 times and currently has well over 300,000 in chips. His aggression was not directly towards me - he was bossing small stacks with his big stack for the last 20 minutes. Thinking about his hand I figured I was up against AX or KX, but not a monster hand. Also, if I doubled up I would be sitting at a little more then 160,000 in chips and would be in a much more comfortable situation. The average stack at my table was about 140,000.

As he calls my remaining 1,000 he flips over pocket pair, 99. His 9s end up tripping off the flop and my Jacks go dead, I join the rail.

All in all I believe that if I didn't make that comment earlier he might have not called my 4x the blind raise. However, in the end the villian made the wrong call risking doubling up a small stack with a hand like 99. If I were him I think I would have called the raise or dropped the hand, I don't see 99 being a hand to call an 80,000 bet when the blinds are 2k/4k. Any case I am not him and obviously it turned to be the correct play. I placed 23rd in that tournament, placing 13 away from the money. Tough beat; not because my JJ lost to 99, because when I finally stood up against the bully he cracked me open!

xpyabi is OUT in 23rd place

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home